In sharp contrast to many some observers in the hoops blogosphere …
if these eyes had to make a projection, this second, on the eventual No. 1 team this season in the Eastern Conference … the pick would be the … Detroit Pistons.
Given the Celtics’ loss of James Posey [F/G] …
* Exchanging Michael Curry for Flip Saunders is going to have a gigantic, positive effect on the performance of this team
* Adding draft picks like Walter Sharpe, Trent Plaisted, Deron Washington
* Exchanging Kwame Brown for Theo Ratliff
* Adding a very athletic Euro pro like Will Bynum
and, most importantly
* The continued maturation of Rodney ‘The Real Deal’ Stuckey [Yr-2], Arron Afflalo [Yr-2], Jason Maxiell [Yr-4], Amir Johnson [Yr-4] and Cheikh Samb [Yr-2]
* While maintaining their overall roster stability … by retaining KEY players like Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace
has further ensconced Detroit at the top of their conference and cemented Joe Dumars’ place amongst the finest GM’s in the NBA today.
Q1. Have the Pistons lost three  consecutive Eastern Conference Finals?
A1. Yes they have.
Q2. Do they have the horses, once again, to make it back to the NBA Finals?
A2. Yes they do.
More importantly, though … no other NBA team has been able to re-tool their overall line-up … while continuing to perform at a very high level … and is better equipped, at this time, going forward from here … with a mix of talented veterans & youngsters, in position to ‘wheel & deal‘, if necessary.
Kudos to Joe D.!
The Man simply knows what he’s doing.
Tags: Amir Johnson, Antonio McDyess, Arron Afflalo, Bill Davidson, Chauncey Billups, Cheikh Samb, Deron Washington, James Posey, Jasom Maxiell, Joe Dumars, Kwame Brown, Rasheed Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, Theo Ratliff, Trent Plaisted, Walter Sharpe, Will Bynum